Thursday, September 08, 2005

PXT Disparity

A couple of days ago, I was talking to my cousin who works for Vodafone, and I asked him why I can't receive PXT messages from Telecom phones on my Vodafone mobile.
This will probably be really obvious to some people, but I had forgotten that, just a few years ago, you couldn't text between networks either! What happens is that the two companies wait for market pressure to build and force them into negotiations - while it may seem very simple, each company should get 50% of the charge for the message, apparently it is much more difficult. If one company's customers send more messages, this would perhaps make them feel entitled to a larger percentage of the profit.
My cousin said that there is no way of telling whether PXT will ever be popular enough to force Telecom and Vodafone into forging an alliance. I suppose that's what happens when only two companies share the entire market in a country, right?

1 Comments:

At 1:59 am, Blogger Spivey said...

It also becomes an issue of technology. They use very different networks that even with development time, would still not like each other. Telecom is on an American based system (why i can PXT my friends in the states with no problem through Telecom) while Vod is not. They are on a different system. The two are not friendly, and mostly, its not the companies faults but the phone makers. Since these are very polar different systems, many phones need to be tri and quad band capable to somewhat better communicate with reciving phones. Its one heck of a big mess, why im glad i got out of the phone business long ago! Hope that sheds a small bit of light.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home