Friday, July 29, 2005

Hi, listen, this is my post to try and gain responses to help me put together what the fundamental issue is, that we are looking at. I guess that I have a lot of questions when it comes to techno cultre and new media, and this is not helped by the fact that I dont know a lot about the refined technological aspects of the medium. But, for me, what seems to be a major issue is distance versus human contact, organic form versus a less real form of creation and meaning. I know that someone could argue that any creation is an organic creation, and that this includes the way that technology has come from the base origins of technology and human creation and moved ever foward in evolution becoming what it is today - but I just seem to sense that there is a growing distance in the way that people communicate and create through the new mediums available. I guess that this course has moved sevral (if not a few hundred) steps ahead of me in terms of content and the kinds of issues that are being dealt with, as it seems indicated by the blogging, that it is all about the way that we can access new media and how it works and what it does and what kind of advantages it has etc etc. But for me the question still remains of what it actually means in terms of the way that is is effecting the way we communicate and do many many other things - but I have to go and so will someone offer some comment? Feel free to be brutal. che

1 Comments:

At 8:01 pm, Blogger Technoculture and New Media said...

Two great posts - yours and Claire's below. Both about the strange, often paradoxical new configurations of connectivity and distance that accompany digitisation. Mags - I think you're dead right to say that, ultimately, it's all about human communication. But I hope that if I can convince you of one thing by the end of this course, it's that there's nothing inherently "less real" about technologically mediated communication. Doesn't the example at the end of Claire's post hint at that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home