Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Always Accessible

In response to the cell-phone at the hip blog. I was recently working at an I.T. health conference at Skycity (making coffee). The conference has all the latest business technology, instant emails, conferencing, and other business related I.T. I was surrounded by people not only talking to each other, but people talking through instant messages to Australia and people talking on walkie talkie cell-phones in the same room. All the while, because I was working I couldn’t answer my cell-phone or check my email. By the end of the day I felt a sense of happiness and not the usual anxiety. I realised this was because I hadn’t had the usual expectations of having an overload of messages through out the day, (new room allocations, changes to assignments, the latest movies or products for sale, the weather at Mt Ruapehu, friends adventures overseas and more…) I felt a sense of relief at not being bugged. The first thing I did when I got home was to check my email!! I guess what I’m trying to say is that technology is a great source of instant information, but do we need a break sometimes just to listen to ourselves and take a breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home