Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Text talk!

Claire talks about instant messaging language taking over our everyday communication in her blog titled "Quick to say our goodbyes... quick to say it all?" I have to agree that our everyday language is changing and text messaging talk is taking over! Whether it be a huge change, or a slow progressive change, I definately believe it's happening.

I have to admit that i am a culprit for shortening my texts as much as possible, sometimes to fit more information in the text, sometimes simply as a form of laziness. The texting, and occasionally email world has become so shortened or condensed that for those who aren't used to it, it can be very daunting and in some cases seem like a foreign language!

People can get so used to this however, that it then becomes harder, and not as natural, to type an email in "proper" English. An example is from one of my papers last year, when someone handed in a short assignment that was written in text language!

Is there a line between when we shorten words and when we are to use the 'long' form? Or do the two just merge together?

I'm not sure however, if this is just a phase, or if it is in fact a transition, and what we have now is simply a 'taste' of what's to come!

1 Comments:

At 3:01 am, Blogger Unknown said...

What about predicted text ? how do people think of that ? I have predicted text on my cell phone , I am mainly use that mainly because it easier or may be I am lazy to turn it off . for there you didn't know of it. predicted text where your word are predicted by the group of letter associated to that number. so for say you didn't have to push the 4 three times to get an 'I' or and twice on the 6 to get an "n". get the word in, you just push 4 then 6. So I mainly write my words in full , because it easier sometime then doing short form. so I didn't really shorten my words. How many ppl still use shorten form when they use predict text?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home