Monday, September 19, 2005

Cellphones: Old vs New

Has anyone ever noticed that, while your mum's old Nokia phone is still going strong after five years, your brand new phone is already having problems?
A couple of months ago, my friend's Amena phone (she got it in Spain) died, so she used *dun, dun, duuuuuun*... Her Alcatel One Touch Easy, which is 7 years old! The new phone was less than two years old. It's a conspiracy!
I just got a new Sony Ericsson phone for Christmas, and the 8 key is already sticky, which makes texting a nightmare. I recognise that, with constant upgrades, all of us should be getting a new phone every year, but not all of us are the good little consumers that the cellphone companies expect us to be.
Admittedly, some old phones don't accomodate texting, and in the case of the One Touch Easy (I'm talking the very first one, bought when the network still came up as BellSouth) you can't retrieve numbers from the phonebook when you're sending a text, but the sturdiness of the old phones can't be denied. Why can't we just merge the sturdiness of the old and the PXTiness of the new? If anyone knows a phone which has achieved this, please feel free to tell me.

N.B: The same goes for Discman vs Walkman ;)

7 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger David K said...

Yeah~ I remember even before Alcatel there is those huge black cellphone which weighs about 5kg.
I guess cellphone these days have too much gadgets in them which probably cause it to breakdown easily. I think cellphone should just be used for calling people and txting. I have a phone that can take pictures and I hardly use it.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Childfree! It could have been so simple! said...

I believe that its the pressure of the market. Companies kill themselves to get new technology out faster than their competitors. Road- and Usertests probably fall behind. Also todays electronic goods' life expectancy only reaches as far as the arrival of new technology. Coincidence?

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger mags said...

yep, I agree with Christian. will the massive amount of different kinds of phones that companies are producing, they seem to often overlook some really key important details in practical use side of phones, im sure this involves how crap some of them are. My new phone doesnt do some really simple things, and its inbuild predictive dictionary does not recognise some really basic words such as 'cruise' or 'flourish' - is VERY annoying and Im developing an odd loathing towards the thing, as if it were an annoying person. Its weird - i expect the technology I use to be of convenience to me, and when its not, it seems to highlight more greatly how very horrible bad technology can be.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Josephine said...

I agree with the conspiracy theory, they just want us to keep on buying. I remember when i when i got my first cellphone(a nokia brick) a few month after buying it, the guy at the supermarket checkout saw it and said "gee thats acient", i was left bemused with my new purchase.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Andrew R. said...

I agree. My brand new Nokia is having problems - turning itself off for no reason and yet my dad's ancient brick Nokia has never had a problem and yet it's been dropped, lost and kept in reasonably bad condition. I can't even use my new phone on a good day. (and yes I am returning it to Telecom).

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Rebecca_emma said...

Old School is the new school. I'm with the conspiracy theory.

But at the same time, it could be just a matter of technology being thrown out into the world before it is properly tested to ensure it will carry on working as it should, for a long period of time, which is David K's argument. Too complex, giving too many options for the phone to malfunction.

Incidentally, I won a phone earlier on in the year to the value of $800. But it has already started doing weird things, sometimes my friends only recieve half my text message, and sometimes I only recieve half of theirs. Which needless to say is extremely irritating.
I kind of miss my old, cheap, little or no special functions phone.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Rebecca_emma said...

Oh, and I forgot to add about diskmans and walkmans.

I love my walkman now. I only just started running, and I run with music. If I run with my diskman it causes the cd to skip and stop and mess up the sound. The walkman, sturdy and bricklike is old but reliable.

And mix-tape cassettes made for/from other people, are far nicer than mix cd's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home