Monday, August 01, 2005

Genuine?

I have received an email this morning claiming to be the unreleased copy of Jamie Olivers new Cook Book. The email states that the book was accidentally sent to the wrong address and this person has wasted no time in sending it to everyone they know. I am skeptical though. It could have been deliberately ‘leaked’ in order to gain publicity for this new book. I am not alone in disliking Jamie Oliver so maybe he is using this to his advantage, releasing this product in a way in which people believe they are getting one up on the television chef. The reason I mention this is tied in with the idea of the identity on the internet and authenticity. I have no way of discovering the origin of this email, and even if I could find the email address there is no real way of verifying the person who made this document public. Is this even a genuine Jamie Oliver book or a publicity stunt?
If you want a copy I will be happy to send the word document on and you can make up your own mind.

2 Comments:

At 12:23 pm, Blogger Technoculture and New Media said...

I 'accidentally' downloaded a Jamie Oliver cookbook from an email attachment a couple of years ago - same story (maybe it's the same book). Of course, once I realised there was piracy involved, I undertook to destroy the offending item. But because I'm involved in technoculture research, I also thought it legitimate to investigate the authenticity of this piece of viral media. The bolognese recipe was a particular success, but many others proved to be both simple and delicious as well. However, I am not encouraging people to infringe Jamie's copyright because unlike the original poster, I think he's a diamond geezer and won't hear a word said against him.

 
At 5:32 pm, Blogger Andrew Cozens said...

i don't mind him.. enjoyed his tv series where he got 15 unemployed people and turned them into semi decent chefs for his restuarant 15, wouldn't mind checking it out next time i am in london but the waiting list would probably be pretty damn long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home