Friday, August 12, 2005

Team America - World Police

I recently watched "Team America", created by Southparks Matt Stone and Trey Parker. Originally thinking it wouldnt be my type of movie, i was surprisingly entertained.
In a nutshell, its essentially about a team of Americans who have made it their mission to fight world crime as the 'World Police'. Being a post September 11th movie the heroes go after terrorists on the look-out for weapons of mass destruction, although they generally end up doing the terrorists work for them. What makes it such a different movie, is the fact that it was created entirely with marionette puppets - strings and all, so has kind of a modern day 'Thunderbirds' feel to it.
The puppets cars and machines are modelled on the real U.S army gear, and the writers tried to create the film in a way that 'America see's the world', including places such as Panama, Paris and even including North Korea and Kim Jong II. The America theme song and similar music helps in the patriotic theme of the film.
If you check out the features on the DVD it is amazing to see how much detail and work went into the making of the movie. Stone and Parker say how they basically wanted to create a parody of the Buckheimer films, and a big action adventure. They got a couple of big names on board to help out, including the Matrix's Bill Pope (cinematographer) to help capture the action of the film. Yet they use 'puppets as a puppet' to create comedy - by playing on the jaunty movements and characteristics of the puppets. They are however, more technically advanced than 'Thunderbirds' as each puppet has hardware creating moving facial features, and dialogue and sophisticated lip syncing programming.
Trey and Parker push the movie (and the puppets) to the limit by including a raunchy sex scence and the mockery of numerous actors in the film.
Check out http://www.teamamerica.com/ to see what im talking about. It is definitely entertaining : )

1 Comments:

At 1:27 pm, Blogger Jennifer said...

I thought Team America was one of the most overhyped pieces of garbage I've EVER had the displeasure of seeing. I think a lot of this however is attributed to me been very insulted by the open sequence which 'parodied' rent. My flatmates rented it on dvd and I was very tempted to leave, infact if I had seen it at the movies I probably would have left.
I didn't find the rest of the movie very enjoyable, I didn't feel it was very succesful at it's paraody and the puppets, especially the sex, was a cheap gag.
Of course this is all just my opinion and I don't think I've yet talked to anyone who hated this movie as much as I do.
On the other hand however I find South Park to be very good much of the time making intelligent points about current social issues and still been very funny. I've seen a few of the latest season and there's a great episode revolving around the terry shivago (I have no idea how to spell) debate when Kenny is put of life-support.
I'd also recommend Orgazmo, which again is a terrible movie but still very enjoyable for it's own stupidity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home