Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Podcasting Destroys Traditional Radio?

It destroys traditional radio, that is at least according to some people. In the United States, there is apparently a rising fear that radio as people currently know it will either be forced to change because of podcasting or will be taken off the air waves completely.

So what exactly is a 'podcast'? It is a home made amateur broadcast that can be downloaded from the internet to digital music devices (i.e. mp3 players, iPod, etc.). These podcast can be created by virtually anyone anywhere in the world. All a person needs to produce one of their own podcast is a microphone, computer with internet access and some type of editing software that can be found in numerous places online (ex. fleximusic www.fleximusic.com). A podcast may be easy to produce, but what makes them popular among people to the point that they will abandon their radios?

As a personal example, I've never actually listened to a podcast. I understand that there is a large variety of genres and styles to listen too, but what would make me want to switch of my radio? I suspect that I am like a large number of people in the states(yes, I am an American) in that we have become disenfranchised by today's radio. I have a growing concern about the way in which it is currently produced today. There are so many radio stations owned by so few now that you get virtually the same program on numerous radio stations, along with the same music and a barrage of commercials. This stems from some of the edicts of the 1994 Telecommunications Act, which allowed more radio stations to be owned by fewer businesses. Is that sufficient reason for me to want to switch my radio off though? Well, for me personally no. That is, at least not permanently and certainly not just to podcasting. I already enjoy another alternative to broadcast radio and that is internet radio. I feel that it actually is more threatening to traditional radio than is podcasting, however, it is widely believe that by the year 2010 the number of podcast listeners will have reached 60 million in the US. That is a large number of people, but radio is still likely to be around then.

Radio is a survivor. It faced destruction with the introduction of TV and it had to rework its self to survive, and it did. Actually, its newer formats have done so well, that it has not only survived, it has thrived. I feel that even with the growing popularity of podcast radio will still live on, still continue to adapt and will continue to thrive well into the future.

-gabeman133 (Gabe H.)

1 Comments:

At 11:18 am, Blogger Andrew Cozens said...

I agree, i havn't actually listened to a podcast yet but at the moment i can't see how it would make me change from radio/internet radio to that format, i would rather listen to a show by people in the industry who actually know what they are talking about than your average punter playing a load of tunes.

But i can see internet radio getting more popular over time, i listen to radio1 and 1xtra a lot more than i do radio stations in new zealand.. not sure why that is though, maybe its because i am english and want to maintain a sense of identity with my home country or just prefer the music that gets played on those stations to that on radio in new zealand :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home