Thursday, September 22, 2005

HURRICANE!!!


The internet is truly an amazing thing. I was attending a tutorial this morning, when my tutor casually asked me how my family was back in Texas with hurricane Rita heading their way. I was suddenly struck by this question. I didn't even know there was a hurricane coming. Last I heard there was a tropical storm of the coast of Florida.

Directly after class I came to my computer and began searching for answers. With in five minutes I had found out everything I could possibly want to know. By going to Yahoo, I discovered from the APA that hurricane Rita was now a class 5 hurricane. It is likely the biggest and strongest hurrican to ever strike the Gulf Coast with winds upwards near 160mph. Not only that, but it is also more than 300miles accross!

After reading about the severity of the hurricane, I wanted to know exactly where it was predicted to hit. I went to The National Hurrican Center's website and discovered a wealth of information. There are prediction maps and tracking maps of every shape and kind with up to the minute data. I could view the wind probabilities, rain fall charts and the projected path in numerous forms. As it turns out, this massive hurrican is expected to strike the Texas coast some where between Corpus Christi and Galveston. Not only that, but it is also predicted to make land fall on Sat. between 1:00 and 2:00am. Being a Texan myself and having family in the area, I was immeaditely nervous knowing what has just happened in New Orleans and other areas of the Southern coast.

I searched on and found on a government web page and evacuation had already been ordered and people were leaving. I went on to Fox News' website where I could see up to the minute video of people leaving the area for refuge. I could find out the traffic reports and he best routes to take. I could locate free transportation out of the area for people who could not provide their own.

Now that I was fully aware Texas was under a state of emergency and Houston (which is 60 miles inland) I wanted to talk to my brother who lives in Houston and find out what he was planning. I dialed him up on an internet phone service and reached him on the road traveling North out of Houston. Through the internet and his cell phone I was able to determine that thousands were leaving and that he was one of them safely on his way.

Clearly, the internet is a powerful tool. With it, hopefully people will be well informed and avoid the disaster of hurricane Katrina. Nature is a powerfula and deadly force, but with the development of technology and the internet lives are being saved....and my fears are being put to rest.


*******Special Note: To all who are willing, would you please pray for the safety and livelyhood of all those currently being affected by hurricane Rita. Although the internet is a powerful tool, the power of prayer and God cannot be matched. I know all my family and friends back home will appreciate it. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home