Sunday, September 25, 2005

My thoughts on PSP. . .

So the PSP has finally arrived. The Playstation for those "on the go". I have a PS2 and do enjoy a good videogame or two, but for some reason I am not interested in the PSP at all. The hook for this product is mobility. I'm not sure if it's just me but I cannot think of many good situations in which I would actually make use of the PSP's biggest selling factor. The only situation that I can think of is while on public transport, and this is depicted on the television advertisement. Is anyone able to list 10 practical PSP uses, in terms of its mobility?

Although I do have another semi-similar portable device, a portable DVD player. I found it lost its 'portable' appeal after a couple of weeks, and now I just treat it as a regular DVD player plugged into my TV. I'm unsure of all its features, but is the PSP capable of this? If it isn't, what would happen once the novelty of mobility wears off?

I can see how it would appeal to 'hardcore' gamers with the whole idea of high quality gaming "anywhere, anytime" but I thought that the whole idea of videogames today was to create more of an experience that makes you feel like you're in the game, with the help of bigscreen TVs and connected sound systems. But if one was to get hooked into a PSP game (or UMD movie) in a situation in which the only gaming to be had was 'portable' wouldn't it just remove an awareness of the 'real world' surroundings, or become just another anti-social activity?

Its interesting because unlike portable audio devices, in order to make proper use of the PSP you actually have to be immobile to be able to concentrate on what you are doing. I would like to see somedbody play while walking!!!

Anyway, I could go on but I feel as though I've said enough... For those who have one, I'm keen to hear (read) what you have to say. Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home