Sunday, October 02, 2005

Blogs blogs blogs...

Before I begin my blog, I just wanted to know if anyone else had trouble remembering to actually write one up! It seems for the last few weeks, I’ve been so pre occupied with other assignments and what not, that I get to Sunday and realise I’ve forgotten to do it. I put reminders on my phone and write it on my wall planner (which I will admit hides behind a door) but I still forget. The reminder will go off, and I some how forget its beeping for a few seconds, because after a while it stops. I’ve never really been one to keep a student diary or wall planner, so writing it up there on the “things to do” list almost seems a waste of time. This probably (actually definitely) goes to show that my time management skills suck, but every time I get on the blog, I see all these other wonderful submissions people have written on about happenings during the week, and I think to myself… am I the only person in the class who has difficulty finding things to talk about? Am I just not a ‘blog’ person? I suppose now my blog is going to be based on blogs in general, and the somewhat pressures of writing a blog for assessment.

Now really when you think about it, submitting a piece of writing shouldn’t be the hardest thing of all things you have to do. Compared to a 1500-2000 word essay, a 150 word piece (that doesn’t have to be rigorously formatted) on something shouldn’t be a problem. It has to be analytical and relevant to the course, and of course it has to be interesting; I’m sure a blog on computer chips and gigabites (can’t spell it) wouldn’t go down too well with an audience (unless that was your thing). Then you come to class and the lecture kicks in; you start jotting down notes you feel will be relevant for you come the time of assignments and exams. Then comes the time to write your blog. Do you write it based on your notes, or do you go out and find things to talk about?

I’m not saying that either of these is wrong. We are supposed to actively seek out websites or interesting things about technoculture to write on, and if we didn’t use our notes at some stage, we’d probably get very lost as to what we’re supposed to be doing. But for people like myself (and I’m sure there are others out there), I can’t help but feel stumped when it comes to interesting things to talk about, essentially because I don’t spend a lot of time on the computer, and I think this is what it all comes down to.

We get opportunities to surf the net in tutorials, but I am just not interesting enough to find anything interesting! The only thing I do on the Internet is check my email and Cecil for notes. I live in a world of technology, yet I can’t find anything interesting to talk about that hasn’t already been mentioned by someone else (and even then I don’t know what all the latest gadgets are). I have no social ‘technology’ skills; I’m like someone you can’t take to a family dinner in case I say something retarded about the food tasting like cardboard. So this is why I end up writing essentially about my frustration with blogs. Maybe I’m just annoyed that everyone else can do it really well and when I try, I just scrape through. This is probably true, but then again maybe there are others who are better at the blabbing game than I am…

I think people will write on enough to get them through. Most of the blogs I’ve seen have been solid gold and really well done. But for me, blogs will forever resemble my
un-interesting-ness. It seems every thing I find interesting, has nothing to do with technology, and while I have found this course has helped me understand the world of technology a little better, I will feel the pressure to produce some solid gold instead of rust!

1 Comments:

At 11:06 pm, Blogger Andrew Cozens said...

i don't think there is a strict you have to do one blog per week each week policy, i think luke and kevin just don't want people leaving all their entries to the last minute and doing ten entries in one week. I thought the 1500 word thing would be quite hard to reach but when i put all my blog entries (not counting comments) into a word document and did a word count it was 3000+ and there is still a couple more weeks to go :p

Of course, not all of them were analytical blog entries but i think i have done almost 10 entries of anayltical stuff now anyway :) I don't think every entry HAS to be an analytical entry anyway, even if you just see a cool site that you think people would find interesting or read an article that is relevant to the course then post it :p At least that is my understanding anyway, could be way off the mark!!

I have been meaning to read this book i bought near the start of the semester, i think its new media: an introduction by Terry Flew but i have been procrastinating so instead most of my blog entries have just been on stuff i have encountered during my day to day life :D Like for example the other day i downloaded a trailer for A Scanner Darkly with Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder which uses the same animation technology as Waking Life, is it the same director? Or last week i saw the new Nintendo Revolution control system, or the Ipod Nano. etc etc

Just keep on the look out for new media and technoculture related stuff you encounter during the week :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home