Sunday, October 09, 2005

Computer Games Is Putting a Great Influence on Other Media

Today, from TVNZ’s news website, I saw a piece of news:

“The Oscar-winning creative team behind the The Lord of the Rings films, including director Peter Jackson, has been named to run the production of the upcoming film based on Microsoft's blockbuster Halo video game.

Jackson and his wife, Fran Walsh, will serve as the executive producers for Halo, which is targeted for worldwide release in mid-2007 by Universal Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox film studios. (Reuters)”

What does this news mean? In my opinion, all kinds of computer games, including video games mentioned here, are putting a great influence on other media.

Before in my thought, I never regard PC games as a cultural phenomenon. In my eyes, they are just a new big-boy tool for entertainment. At some time, I even hate them because they bring about lots of negative effect. For example, I often heard that many youth are indulged in PC games’ world and can not control themselves at all. In fact, I am a victim of them as well. Because playing PC games with plenty of time, my eyesight was harmed very much. Now, when I sit in back-row seat of the lecture room, I have to wear spectacles.

However, when PC games becomes a powerful industry which is worthy millions of dollars, I have to recognize its power. Nonetheless, I still scorn them. I do not think they can have great impacts on human culture. Sometimes, some PC games’stories just copy from other meida, such as Harry Potter. After the novel Harry Potter was published and a film based on a novel of the same name was made, the PC game with same name appeared and benefited from the hot wave of Harry Potter.

However, now, there are more and more media which are influenced by PC games, especially the film industry. Several years ago, the film Lara Croft was made according to the PC game with the same name and succeeded very much. Now, Peter Jackson is also getting involved in it! Is it possible that some time later PC games will sweep across more media? I do think so.

To sum up, it is unavoidable that PC games will put much greater influences on our culture.

reference:Reuters, 9 Oct, retrieved from tvnz website <http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411419/616596>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home