Tuesday, October 18, 2005

P_S_W_RD?

Passwords
Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble remembering his or her passwords?
Every time I sign onto to do my bogs, do you think for the life of me I can remember what my password is? No. So every time or almost every time I have to fill in my username so I can enter in a new password that I might actually remember, which until now has yet to happen. A couple of weeks ago I was watching Campbell Live (Tuesday 20Sept 05) and John Campbell was interviewing a former hacker turned anti-hacker and what the best way to keep your computer safe was. And you guessed it, passwords were his answer, but instead of using a single password for most of the sights or email companies you belong to, you should use numbers instead and change it every three weeks. Whilst this in theory sounds great, to me remembering numbers or a combination of letters and numbers is harder than it sounds and its not like we can have a folder on our computer that is blatantly labeled “passwords” to remind us because that defeats the whole purpose of those passwords being kept secret. So the question remains, do passwords actually protect our private lives and details such as phone, email, bank and school accounts on the Internet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home